Thursday, April 1, 2010

infant CPR

Luke & I went to infant CPR class on Tuesday night. Was sorta creepy because there was only 1 mannequin per group and you had to "unhook" his chest in order to put the plastic bag inside so you could see if you were blowing hard enough. He sort of resembled a doll--like the really hard plastic kind. Anyway, Luke and I were the first due in our group so we got to start. Luke got all nervous as usual when he's in front of people so I went first. CPR went fine and then I moved on to choking. I felt like everyone was thinking wow, this chick would be really good at child abuse when I was pounding the mannequin on the back. I felt like I was knocking him out and the lady said, honey, you're going to have to hit harder than that. Goodness! Anyway, funny story on Luke...he did great on CPR, but when time came for the choking he had his hand on the neck and didn't support the head when he was doing the "5 back slaps." The poor mannequin's head was flopping all over the place. If that was our child, he would have had a broken neck! Luke quickly adjusted and then his face turned red with embarrassment...luckily several others in our group struggled with choking too...so Luke's incident was quickly forgotten about! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment